At the Law Offices of Andrew Cohen, our Sherman Oaks conservatorship attorney has experience helping families in the area establish conservatorships when doing so is necessary. However, we can also provide assistance when you wish to avoid a conservatorship. This may be helpful if someone is trying to improperly demonstrate that you’re unable to manage your own finances or make similar decisions for yourself.
What is a Conservatorship in Sherman Oaks, CA
A conservatorship is a legal process that allows a court to appoint someone to manage the finances and property of an individual who cannot do so themselves. This type of arrangement is typically needed for individuals who are elderly, have a disability, or suffer from mental illness. In Sherman Oaks, CA, the courts will appoint a person or company – known as a conservator – to look after the assets and financial affairs of their “ward”.
How Does a Conservatorship Impact the Rights of a Ward in California
A conservatorship can significantly limit the rights of a ward, as the court-appointed conservator will have control over their finances and assets. The scope of the conservator’s authority depends on what is specified in the court order. This can include making decisions about how to spend the ward’s money, managing property, collecting income from investments, and even deciding where the ward should live.
Reasons a Conservatorship May Be Necessary
- There are a number of reasons why someone may need to set up a conservatorship in Sherman Oaks, CA. For example:
- The ward is elderly or has a disability and can no longer manage their own finances;
- The ward has become incapacitated due to illness or injury and needs someone to help manage their assets;
- The ward suffers from substance abuse or mental illness and needs assistance with financial matters;
- A conservatorship is needed to protect the assets of an individual who cannot otherwise make decisions for themselves.
- Those are just a few examples. These cases are complex, and it’s not always clear whether a conservatorship is justified.
How a Sherman Oaks Conservatorship Attorney Can Help You Avoid a Conservatorship
A conservatorship is not always justified. There are instances when someone may try to establish a conservatorship for the wrong reasons.
Do you believe this is happening to you? If so, contact a Sherman Oaks conservatorship lawyer. Specific ways our team can help you demonstrate that you don’t need a conservator include the following:
- Present evidence that you are capable of managing your own finances and property
- Negotiate a settlement between the parties involved in the dispute
- Work with experts to evaluate your mental and physical capacity
- Represent you in court proceedings when necessary
At our Sherman Oaks law firm, we understand how important it is for individuals to maintain their rights. We will work closely with you throughout the process to ensure that your best interests are being represented. If you need help, don’t hesitate to contact us today. Get started by contacting us online or calling us at 661-481-0100.